Thursday, December 3, 2009

An Oregon Thanksgiving

A thanksgiving tale from Oregon. We started the morning running with friends along the waterfront in downtown Portland.
We didn't even plan to be a rainbow! (The girl on the end is Sarah and that's her beagle Vaughn. He and Zoey are best buds.)
The group, in motion!
Justin and I after we finished earning our turkey with 10 and 13.1 miles respectively.

I tried my hand at making an apple tart. Sadly, I don't have a picture of the final product (but I stole one from the internet). Here is a picture of it before we flipped it out onto a serving plate.

Here's what it resembled but probably not quite as perfect looking:
We also made the vegetarian stuffing in a pumpkin recipe again this year. But didn't take any photos...sorry!

I didn't take any pictures of Thanksgiving dinner but a couple of my friends did.
Toasting to our hosts at table one.
View of tables ones and two. We didn't know many people at the table in the front of this picture.
This doesn't do it justice but this is a photo of the food smorgasbord! You can see our pumpkin pretty clearly. It was so fun to try so many people's recipes, all different, all very tasty.
Later during Thanksgiving weekend we took the bikes out for a spin in rural Washington County (west of Portland) not too far from where we used to live.

It was cold but dry!

For the Twilight fans in the family, I saw New Moon with my friends on Friday afternoon. I can't say it was a great movie but it was MILES better than the first one. I'm also knee deep in the Harry Potter books. A friend lent me the first one and I didn't think I'd really like them but here we are only a few weeks later and I'm half way through book 5 (of 7).

For the video game players of the family, Justin played Fallout 3--a lot!
It's been really chilly in Portland the last few days (probably nothing compared to what it's like in UT) but cold for us. This morning it was 28 and they are predicting "flurries" on Sunday. The best news is...it's been SUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I prefer the cold to the gray so bring it on cold as long as you stay sunny I'm a happy girl!
We're really looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks! In the meantime, happy calendaring and shopping. (We started out so well with the Xmas shopping, I did half of it in September!)

2 comments:

Susan Dunlap said...

Yea! So happy to find your blog, Alisa! Love the pictures and descriptions! Why can't I find Zoey in any of them, however????
Your recipes look scrumptious! We've five buckets of apples on the deck - you're (and everyone is) welcome to as many as you can use! You can make them here too!
We can't wait to see you all! Cold and sunny seems to be the universal weather for us all!

Jill And Thain said...

Looks like a great feast. You make me feel lazy and glutenous too with all your pre and post dinner workouts. I didn't work out at all and gained 5 pounds that week which I'm in the process of working of this week. Thanks for sharing your thanksgiving too. We missed you in Utah but know it was too far for a short break and am glad you had a good one. Well it's not sunny and cold here now, it's snowing!!!!! Poor Thain is out working in it too. Rilan is babbling on the floor as I type. :)