Sunday, November 8, 2009

Recipe of the Week (Month? Year? One off?)

First: Happy Birthday Jen!

Second: Hi there, how are you doing?

Third: I made a cool lasagna last week. It was pretty great and had an unusual (and quite seasonal) ingredient: squash! I felt like I should share. The consistency is very much what would be expected of a lasagna, but the flavor is quite different and unique. Mom may be surprised at its source too, Martha Stewart. Actually, I heard about it from a blog I follow The Kitchn (sic). Click on the link on Martha for the recipe.

Here are a couple of entirely unappetizing images of it that will not convince you to make it (it looked quite good in person thank you):


I paired it with my beets and blue cheese dish.

Finally (fourth for those playing along): We have taught Zoey a few new tricks lately, the most useful of which is "begging". Why teach a dog to beg? Well, because this way she does it in the least offensive way possible. Here she is in action:

Now she lies down whenever either one of us is eating anything and is rewarded with a few small treats for her effort.

9 comments:

Susan Dunlap said...

First: it looks appetizing to me!
Second: Yes, a happy birthday, to you, Jennifer! Congrats to Jill for fixing you dinner!
Third: Hurray for the new blog, Justin! When I saw Martha highlighted, I questioned my suspicison this blog being by you! Silly me! Squash?? I've got to check out that recipe.
Fourth: Dad and I can attest to the non-begging beggar, Zoey! She is so well conditioned - ooops, trained! - to not beg and knows she will be rewarded! Very impressive!
Fifth: we had Colby, Brianna, and Aiden here for the weekend. As you all well know, they are great kids! And .... I do have a wish list for the John Dunlaps, but will e you it and not hog any more of Justin's fun blog!

The Blaine gang said...

Yum! Send on over a piece! :) Great blog Justin, keep them coming!

Jill And Thain said...

mmm yumm sounds good but I don't want to bake...if I send a picture of some big cute begging eyes like zoey can you just send me one :) ha ha j/k. fun blog. Great to hear from you Justin! I will have to try it. I put pumpkin in with french toast stuff the other day and that was pretty good too but if you try it, it needs nutmeg and cinnamon with it!

Justin said...

Your piece of butter nut lasagna is in the mail Jen and Jill. Enjoy!

Susan Dunlap said...

How about mine?

Jill And Thain said...

ummm really??

Justin said...

OK mom, one is in the mail for you too. Maybe I should have rethought the sending it media mail...

Susan Dunlap said...

Yum, I am waiting! Did the others get theirs?

Jill And Thain said...

yummm I love mold so basically it's coming in a few months huh! ;)