Monday, November 16, 2009

Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup

Another week another tasty meal. This week I made some Twice Baked Potatoes, Angel Biscuits (the main difference between them and run-of-the-mill biscuits being that they have yeast in them), and the star of the week, Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup. It was all great, but the soup has to be one of my favorite of all time. The flavors worked so well together and was even better the next day. The only major change I made was adding a dollop of crème fraîche. I would make the other two recipes again as well.



We had a fun weekend entertaining Jon, my college roommate, who came up in part to cheer on his little sister Debrah who was in Eugene running for the Cal cross country team.

The weather has fully made the turn to autumn/winter here and we are getting used to the cold, drissling, very short days. Sigh... At least that all makes it a great setting for staying indoors and making more yummy soups!

Epilogue: The power just went out and the noise of something big falling over could be heard in the distance. The wintry weather is manifesting itself as some serious gusting wind right now. Good thing I am using the netbook (on battery and not plugged into the wall).

10 comments:

Susan Dunlap said...

Yum! It all looks so scrumptious! If I get the ingredients, would you make that soup for us over Christmas? Then all could try it, and you wouldn't have to send it all over the country! I also recognize your glass - great memories!

Alisa said...

It was yummy, all three parts of the meal!

Yikes the power went out. Where was I? Oh right, it was after 9 so I was sleeping =).

Jeremy said...

Yo Black Bean and Pumpkin soup, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Lentil had the best soup of all time, of all time!

The Blaine gang said...

Torture!!! Bad Justin, that's not nice. I am so hungry, and now I really want some!!! Can you come cook for us next week???? PLEASE??!!

Susan Dunlap said...

Jeremy, what Lentil? More info, please!!! Samples would be nice too!

Jeremy said...

It is an internet meme. It is what Kanye said when he interrupted Taylor Swift at the VMA awards.
The Video. The action is at the 40 second mark.

Susan Dunlap said...

Ah ha! Thanks for the clarification, Jeremy, and making it so easy to view!

Jill And Thain said...

Yeah didn't understand the comment either but knew it was probably some funny inside joke or such :). Jeremy let me know if you guys need a ride! Justin thanks for the post and ideas...I already copied the recipee and plan to make it this week! Yumm...I guess it's no use to plan on the mail system to give me parts of your yummy meals......hey you want a job as my personal chef? j/k sortof. I'm such a bad cook as in I never get around to it much!

Justin said...

Ha! Best, and least expected, use of that meme yet Jeremy!

I would be happy to make the soup when we are in town Mom. Do you happen to have an immersion blender? (You don't need one, but is a nice luxury when making soups).

Sorry to torture you Jen! I would love to come and cook. Can you knock off a few miles between your house and my apt though. :)

Sorry the UPS is so slow Jill! Hope the soup turns out well for you too.

Jeremy said...

Thanks Justin.. I didn't think anyone was going to appreciate it. :)