Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Witty title with a pun involving the word "Bend" and the phrase "memory lane".

Alisa and I headed out to Bend, OR last weekend somewhat on the spur of the moment. We had been meaning to get out there since moving to Oregon in part because of the many trips I made as a kid and in part for the promise of the sunshine in eastern Oregon. We found a hotel that allows dogs, doesn't charge for them, and doesn't put dog owners in the smoking rooms! Yay!

We had three things in mind for the trip: 1) go on a bike ride, 2) try out the two big Bend brew-pubs (Deschute's and Bend Brewing), and 3) see if we could find Granny and Grandpa's old Bend home. We succeeded on all fronts.

Oh, and before we succeeded in any of those goals we randomly found a Big Tree: 



Alisa had done some research and picked out a ride that crossed the Deschutes river a couple of times. It was a great ride and a good third of it was on a great smooth road with a wide shoulder and there was no head wind. During that part of the ride we practically flew!


On the way back from the bike ride we realized we'd be passing near Granny and Grandpa's old Bend home so we decided to see if we could track it down then and there... despite being clad in spandex and sweat. Thankfully Mom had been able to track down the address earlier in the day and our many GPS devices pointed us in the right direction. 

First thing I noticed was the General Store on the corner that we used to stop at all the time. In particular I remember buying those planes made of balsa wood or styrofoam to fly off the deck at the house. There is now an overpass required to get on the main street that the General Store is on. That is new, no? Also new, was the attached coffee shop, gas station, and Subway to the General Store. Progress?

 Other than the General Store, the rest of the ride to the house range very few memory bells for me. When we did get to River Bend Drive, a few of those bells did start to ring. However, I remembered the road down to the house being much more steep and long. It was a long steep driveway, but not nearly the major descent of my memory. Also coming as a surprise to me was a house next to the road.

We found it! First thing that seemed different to me was the color scheme.


The house was for rent, so we had the run of the property to check it all out. 


Was there always a door between the "guest bedroom" and the master bathroom? 



All the bird houses reminded me of the bird watching books I would find at Granny and Grandpa's. Were some of these houses hold-overs from their day?
 

I know this one was, wasn't it!?

 The bottom deck seemed to have gotten larger. 



And, I don't remember there being so many sky-lights in the house.
 

Mom recalled there being a fireplace facing the river and after she mentioned that I was convinced that there had been as well. Anyone remember differently? Guess that was another sacrifice of the re-modelers. 

 




The river was as impressive as I remembered, but which one of you siblings had me convinced there was a major waterfall right past the house downriver? No evidence of it in this picture, though it does remind me of all the times we would go fishing and craw-dadding.



Well, after a good half an hour of wandering around the grounds and checking all the doors (they were all locked unfortunately), it was time to say goodbye. It was a great trip and a great trip down memory lane. Hope everyone else is reminded of as many happy memories seeing these pictures as I was visiting.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Yay. Thanks Justin!! That was really neat to see, Yeah I kind of remember less windows facing the river and a fireplace somewhere there abouts. Don't think I was the one to tell you so, though I woudn't put it past me, but I kind of remember thinking there was a big drop down the river that would finish us off if we went for a swim for sure. It always looked a little rough and cold for swimming anyhow but so pretty! Maybe a bend in time through memory lane :)

Alisa said...

While it didn't take me down memory lane like it might for a lot of you Dunlap's it sure was an awesome trip and fun to see such a unique river front house.

The Blaine gang said...

Yea! I love Granny and Grandpa's house! Thanks so much for posting all this Justin. We drove through Bend once I wanted so badly to see that house, but we didn't know where it was. This is so fun to see!
I really remember that general store too. Mostly I remember just waiting, waiting, waiting, in the store looking at everything and WAITING for everyone else... It sounds like your trips were more productive.
I can't believe there wasn't a waterfall down the way. It must have been someone's scare tactic to keep us from falling in the river.

You are right, that round bird house was there. And I do remember a fireplace where all the windows are too. The place looks great though.
So, moral of the this must be that getting your kids in the car for 8 hours each way a few times a year to see the grandparents, even if it tortures you and the kids, must be worth it. It sure brings back fun memories.

Susan Dunlap said...

So many memories! Dad and I camped on their Bend property with Granny and Grandpa for several years before he retired and built their house. Dad helped with the roof some, and John proudly caught and showed off his fish! Jen was a toddler then. Many fun times were had floating down the river and fishing. Also those many trips when Grandpa was fighting off his cancer and we helped by bringing up wood, etc. I love your post, Justin, and reading the memories. Jen, I had no idea the car trips were such torture! But I do remember the ease after we got the van!

Jeremy said...

Yes, that does bring back a flood of memories. Thank you Justin and Alisa! I also have those memories of the planes and the general store. As well as the house. I remember playing chess with that marble chess set in the nook by the kitchen. I think it was our parents who told us about the "waterfall". Could you see that spiral staircase at all? I wonder if that was taken out. Thanks again!

The Blaine gang said...

The long drives are still tortue for me, but not because of anything you or Dad did! I just got carsick a lot, and I remember fighting a lot. Now I see Emily going through the same thing, and the kids fight more as they get older! Obviously it's all worth it, we have good memories!

Jill said...

I just remember getting a treat at the general store, don't remember too many fights, must not have been in any right...ha ha. It was fun to visit for sure though. Good memories for the most part, Granny would probably like to see the pics too :). Thanks again for posting them Justin!

Susan Dunlap said...

WHAT? to Jeremy!!! You don't think we would really do something like that, do you???? I'll research that comment about the waterfall with Dad and Granny!
We still have that marble chess set and would love to pass it along to one of you - if anyone is interested, let me know! (First come......)
Jen, I'm glad you agree that it was all worth it!
Jill, Granny was here when Justin sent some pictures Sunday, and she truly loved seeing them. There was one taken of the downstairs and the circular staircase was still there, Jeremy!

Justin said...

That is hilarious that we all remember the waterfall thing. The only one who hasn't commented is John... he must be to blame!

The stairs did indeed exist Jeremy, but you couldn't see them from the upstairs; if I remember right, it is behind a door upstairs right? I'd be happy to send you the pic via email if you like.

I don't really remember the fights all that much either. I remember it being a long drive for sure, but the anticipation was part of the fun. Speaking of long drives, anyone remember the one in the back of the truck!? For some reason I remember a conversation about Cindi Lauper...

I'll take the chess set if no one else wants it, but I don't really have room for it right now, so if there are any other takers please let them have it.

Susan Dunlap said...

Sorry Justin, Mom is trying to give away the great marble chess set that Jill & Thain gave me from Mexico, and that one is not up for grabs! I don't remember a water fall, but there were rapids downstream from the house where a couple people (at least) drowned while Mom & Dad lived there. That was a great posting! Love, Dad

Susan Dunlap said...

Hmmm - no one ever clued us in on Cindi Lauper. We're all ears.......
Nice pictures of you, Alisa! Sounds like you planned a great bike ride. Bet you'd make a super personal travel agent!
Bend back to Memory Lane?